Thursday, May 9, 2013

{p,h,f,r}, vol. 6

It's Thursday! {pretty}{happy}{funny}{real} time with Leila and her beautiful daughters. How much do I love Like Mother,Like Daughter? LOTS!) Thanks, Leila, for inspiring so many of us in so many ways!


{pretty}

We generally have flowers blooming all year around down here (mostly bougainvilleas and hibiscus), but some of the desert plants have recently bloomed. Here's my favorite - an aloe. Most aloes in the States seem to have red flowers, so this one surprised me the first time it bloomed. I love that warm yellow with a hint of orange.

{happy}

The Pirate did some clever work on the lower shelves of the bookcase he made so I can use them for yarn and fabric. This is what I see every morning when I wake up - all of them sources of deep satisfaction. My home altar, my books on prayer and Church teachings, my yarn, my fabric; what more could a person want? I know, more yarn!

{funny}


This is a metal gate that is used to lock up the entrance to a local cafe when it's closed. I love how they attached halves of coke cans to it and put plants in each one. Creative, pretty, and it cost nothing!

{real}

I've been working on knitting a shrug since last November. This is the sum total of what I've accomplished so far: 1 front piece measuring 8" by 16" and the other front piece which is smaller because I haven't finished it yet. This is probably the longest I've taken to knit anything, and it's the simplest pattern you could possible work with (3 rectangles!). The problem is, I decided to use multiple yarns AND not follow a specific stitch pattern (I wanted it to look really nubbly). This doesn't increase the difficulty, but it does slow the entire process down because I can never simply knit a row - I always have to be looking at what I'm doing to decide on the fly whether to make the next stitch a knit or a purl. AGGHHH! So of course I've found any number of excuses to put this project aside and work on other things (right now I'm sewing a bag for clothespins). But I've decided I must get this completed in the next couple of weeks because I can't stand to see it silently accusing me every time I sit down. Besides, it's finally getting warm enough to wear a shrug over a cami.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know your thoughts!